Sunday 30 May 2010

The Enchantment Emporium - Book Review


The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff

What is it about:
Alysha Gale is a member of a family capable of changing the world with the charms they cast. Then she receives word that she's inherited her grandmother's junk shop in Calgary, only to discover upon arriving that she'll be serving the fey community. And when Alysha learns just how much trouble is brewing in Calgary, even calling in the family to help may not be enough to save the day.

What did I think of it:
I'm in two minds about this book. It is well written, has a really cool story, remarkable characters and over all it is a fun read. Add some really cool dragons in the mix and you should think this book is a hit.

So why will this book not end up on my list of favourites?

It has to do with the Gale family: On the one hand they're one crazy, interesting bunch, on the other hand.... They were too close in my opinion. And when I mean close, I mean close in an icky way. Their interactions gave me an unpleasant feeling when reading about it. And if all the cousins interacting with each other wasn't enough, there's the double standards for bisexuals too. I must confess I like my pairings to be exclusive in any case, but it always irks me when a person can have both a male and female lover, but one of their lovers can't have an extra lover on the side. So all in all: I enjoyed the story, but did not enjoy the romantic entanglements in this book.

Why should you read it:
It is a very good story despite my points of critique.

4 comments:

Demented Wench said...

I'm already on a fourth book that contains inter-family "mingling" so I think I'll pass. I've had enough icky to last me for awhile.

Birdie said...

hmmmm...I can deal with a lot if it's well-written...still, within family is...*shudders*. The plot of this one sounds fantastic, though. I may have to see whether the library has it

Sullivan McPig said...

@Demented Wench: Now I'm curious about what you're reading
@Birdie: if you read around the family stuff it is a great read.

Anonymous said...

Was all the ick necessary? It's such a pity when a good book gets ruined by something that could have been changed.