Tuesday 3 August 2010

Henry VIII: Wolfman - Admitting Defeat


Henry VIII: Wolfman by A.E. Moorat

What is it about:
Henry VIII was the best and bloodiest King ever to have sat on the throne of England. This fast-paced, exciting, gory, inventive and just plain gross retelling of his reign will bring to light the real man behind the myth. When it came to his size, Henry VIII was known for being larger-than-life, with a fearsome temper and bloodthirsty reputation to match; more beast than human, some might say...Be dragged kicking and screaming back 500 years into Tudor England...

Why didn't I finish it:
I have to admit defeat! I read and loved Moorat's previous book 'Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter', so I was sure I'd like this book about Henry VIII being a werewolf too. Moorat's writing style is funny, most of his characters interesting at the least, but Henry VIII: Wolfman had one major flaw for me: there were too many different storylines and characters criss-crossing all over the place and I lost track of the story and characters. I might try to get back to this book some point in the future, but for now I just can't get myself to continue.

Why should you read it:
If multiple storylines and lead characters do not disturb you and you love werewolves and history, this might be your book.


3 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

that's a funny mashup picture. too bad you were defeated.

Andrew Holmes said...

Aw, what a shame you didn't like it! I promise they do all converge should you ever try again...

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks for letting me know. I will certainly try again in the future as I really loved 'Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter' and I love the writing and the characters in this book too, but all the different storylines had me confused.