Wednesday 11 August 2010

Hunger - Early Book Review


*
Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

What is it about:
Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she's been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
A wildly original approach to the issue of eating disorders, Hunger is about the struggle to find balance in a world of extremes, and uses fantastic tropes to explore a difficult topic that touches the lives of many teens.


What did I think of it:
This story is well written and original, but I had one major problem with this book: Lisabeth is a character that is very hard to like. I was interested in the story, but caught myself not being interested in Lisabeth as a person. And when you like the character of Death more than the lead character of a book there's something up I think (unless you're reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman). All in all I think Morse Kessler should have taken a bit more time to let you get to know Lisabeth and to make you like her as that would have improved my enjoyment in this otherwise intriguing book.

Why should you read it:
It's about the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse!

* I got this book for review from the publisher through Netgalley
It will be available around 10/18/2010


6 comments:

Aleksandra said...

Thanks for the review! I've been interested about this one :)

Nina said...

It does sounds interesting, but too bad that the main character isn't that great at all. Mmm.. :)

Midnight Sapphire Books said...

I want to read this one. Thanks for the review!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Very interesting!! thanks for the honest review!!

Demented Wench said...

Have you ever read "On a Pale Horse" by Piers Anthony?

Sullivan McPig said...

@Demented Wench: Haven't read that one, I'll look it up. thanks for the recommendation