Thursday 23 September 2010

Nocturnal - Book Review


Nocturnal by Jacquelyn Frank, Kate Douglas, Jess Haines and Clare Willis (Anthology)

What is it about:
"The Phoenix Project" by Jacquelyn Frank
Held captive, Amara is subjected to bizarre experiments that test the limits of her sanity. But nothing prepares her for being locked away - naked - with a sexy ex-cop...after they've been pumped full of drugs that increase their sexual appetites to animalistic intensity...

"Crystal Dreams" by Kate Douglas
When Lemurian Guard Darius chases a demon spirit to Earth, he faces a lethal battle between good and evil. His ally is Mari, a breathtakingly beautiful human who unknowingly holds the key to victory. But before the war is over, Darius' desire for his mortal companion threatens to erupt - and could cost Mari her life...

"Spark of Temptation" by Jess Haines
Blackmailed into taking a treacherous case, P.I. Sara Halloway is thrust into a demon war. Sara seeks guidance from a charismatic mage, but their hunger for one another soon becomes a deadly distraction...and the danger surrounding them only makes their urges more powerful...

"My Soul to Take" by Clare Willis
New Orleans native Dr. Maggie Dillon thought she left her past behind her - until she's enraptured by a handsome patient who has been possessed by a malevolent spirit. To find a cure, Colby revisits her magical roots - and unleashes a primal lust too vital to ignore...

What did I think of it:
"The Phoenix Project" by Jacquelyn Frank
I'm not too sure of this story. The writing was good, the idea intriguing, but the story didn't get off the ground. It was merely a vehicle for some heavy smut (which was good smut I must confess) and when it came to actual non romantic action it faded to black or it was talked about after the fact. Not my favourite of the four.

"Crystal Dreams" by Kate Douglas
Nicely written and interesting enough to hold my attention even though it was a bit fluffy and predictable. I didn't feel a connection with Darius and Mari so that's why this story was enjoyable, but nothing more than that.

"Spark of Temptation" by Jess Haines
If I can say one negative thing about this story it's that it doesn't fit in with the other stories in this anthology. Where the others are heavy on the romance this story is more focused on the action. I must confess I bought this book for this story as it features my favourite character from 'Hunted by the Others': Arnold. Haines doesn't disappoint in this short story and delivers a suspenseful tale. It probably won't surprise you that this is my favourite story of this anthology.

"My Soul to Take" by Clare Willis
This story didn't sound too appealing when reading the blurb, but it surprised me by turning into an engaging read and the second best story from this anthology. I was really concerned about the characters and actually creeped out at times. I will be checking out more books by this author.

Why should you read it:
As I said before: anthologies like this are great ways to discover new writers.

4 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

sounds like a great anthology!! sometimes you just need a shorter story!

Nina said...

I don't know about this one. But that guy on the cover is really scary!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I had to laugh at the way you redeemed "merely a vehicle for heavy smut" by clarifying that it is at least "good smut"! LOL!!!

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for the review!! =)

<3,
-J