Saturday 2 October 2010

Double Cross - Book Review


Double Cross by Carolyn Crane
(The Disillusionists Trilogy: Book 2)


What is it about:
Justine Jones lived her life as a fearful hypochondriac until she was lured into the web of a mysterious mastermind named Packard, who gifts her with extraordinary mental powers—dooming her to fight Midcity’s shadowy war on paranormal crime in order to find the peace she so desperately craves.
But now serial killers with unheard-of skills are terrorizing the most powerful beings in Midcity, including mastermind Packard and his oldest friend and worst enemy, Midcity’s new mayor, who has the ability to bend matter itself to his will.
As the body count grows, Justine faces a crisis of conscience as she tests the limits of her new powers and faces an impossible choice between two flawed but brilliant men—one on a journey of redemption, the other descending into a pit of moral depravity.


What did I think of it:
I loved Mind Games, the first book in this trilogy, so I've been looking forward to reading Double Cross for a long time.

And I must say: Wow!

Double Cross blew me away! Had I thought this series was already at its best in the first book, Crane proved me wrong and wrote such a brilliant sequel it had me laughing, crying and cursing throughout the book. My favourite characters from the previous book were back and some got more screen time this time, like Shelby, who is second only to Justine I think. The ending of the book had me shocked and eager for book three and I think Crane is one evil genius to get me so addicted to this series I'll be rereading this book and Mind Games to at least get my fix until the last book is released.

And I have to add that yet again I wasn't distracted by Crane's use of present tense. Somehow she manages to write it in such a natural way that I'm not even aware of it unless I'm looking for it. Other authors writing in present tense should read her books to learn from her.

Why should you read it:
It's a brilliant, amazing thrill ride of a read


4 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

oh, yeah, already have this on the MUST read pile ;-D

Unknown said...

Oh I so can't wiat to finally read Double Cross!! Thanks for the great review, now I'm even more eager :-D

Carolyn Crane said...

Hey Carien!!! Thanks so much for this lovely review! I am so glad you like Shelby, too. And, just...thanks for everything you said here.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

awesome review! lol at the evil genius :) i just ordered mind games and i'm so excited to read it!