Saturday 11 June 2011

Right Hand Magic - Book Review

Right Hand Magic (Golgotham #1) by Nancy A. Collins

What is it about:
Like most Manhattanites, aspiring artist Tate can't resist a good rental deal-even if it's in the city's strangest neighborhood, Golgotham, where for centuries werewolves, centaurs, and countless other creatures have roamed the streets.
Her new landlord is a sorcerer name Hexe, who is determined to build his reputation without using dark, left-hand magic. As Tate is drawn into Hexe's fascinating world, they both find that the right hand does not always know what the left hand is doing-and avoiding darkness is no easy trick...


What did I think of it:
Being a lefty myself I've grumbled a bit over the concept of left handed magic being dark, evil magic, but otherwise I really enjoyed this book. The writing is easy going and bubbly at times and took me some getting used to, but it worked for this story. I really liked the world building and setting which is very imaginative and the characters were fun and quirky. The story itself could have used a bit more bite in my opinion though. It all felt a bit too easy (which in part might have been caused by the writing style) and I didn't even fret for one moment about the outcome of this book. All in all I might consider reading more by Collins in the future.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun, fluffy Urban Fantasy.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

So you are a left-handed piggy? ;-) What about Voodoo Bride? Which hand does she write with?

Sullivan McPig said...

Voodoo Bride leaves the writing to me as most pens are too big for her to handle ;-)