Monday 12 September 2011

Mercy Blade - Book Review

Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock #3)
by Faith Hunter


What is it about:
Things are heating up in the Big Easy. Weres have announced their existence to the world, and revived the bitter tensions that run between them and their old enemies: vampires. As a trusted employee of Leo Pellissier, Blood Master of the City, Jane finds herself caught in the cross fire.

What did I think of it:
Most frustrating book I read in a long time!
Ok, the action storyline is cool and intricate, but Jane's personal life and the romantic entanglements she gets herself into annoyed and frustrated me beyond reason. Books like this are why I do not like love triangles and I know I'll be searching for spoilers about book 4 before I even try to read it once it's released. That being said: the world building and writing are excellent and the overall story well worth the read (if you can look beyond the frustrating parts). I especially love how Hunter manages to breathe life into all the characters, no matter how small their part in the story is. I can advice those who start this series to spread out the books over a longer time period and not read all of them back to back though as the books are quite grim and gritty.

Why should you read it:
It's well written, dark and gritty Urban Fantasy


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


3 comments:

Bookish Brunette said...

I've realized that in order to really ENJOY a series to the fullest you can't read them back to back! Very few are the exception to this rule! LOL

Jeffe Kennedy said...

Oooh, Bookish Brunette-that's an interesting point.
!
But I agree, Sullivan. So many things I love about this author and characters, but the endless string along? Too much

Sullivan McPig said...

It might depend on the series if you can read them back to back I think.
I read the first two books really close together and had to take a breather before I could handle book 3. I didn't have this problem with the Black Jewels trilogy where I was glad I had all three books so I could keep reading.
@Jeffe: Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks so.