Friday 2 December 2011

Heart of Steel - Book Review

Heart of Steel (Iron Seas #2)
by Meljean Brook


What is it about:
Growing up in the dangerous world of the Iron Seas, the mercenary captain of the airship Lady Corsair, Yasmeen, has learned to keep her heart hard as steel. Ruthless and cunning, her only loyalty is to her ship and her crew-until one man comes along and changes everything...Treasurehunter Archimedes Fox isn't interested in the Lady Corsair-just the captain and the valuable da Vinci sketch she stole from him. When it attracts a dangerous amount of attention, Yasmeen and Archimedes journey to Horde-occupied Morocco- and straight into enemy hands.

What did I think of it:
I'm in two minds about this book.

The story and setting are really cool. There's zombies, creepy assassins, airships, you name it. I loved reading about the grim world Brook created and I loved the action and adventure.

Yasmeen and Archimedes however....

I don't think they made a believable romantic couple. It might be just me, but I couldn't feel the connection between them. Don't get me wrong: Both characters are very cool and interesting and I really wanted them to succeed and to find happiness, just not with each other.

This mismatched romance kept me from losing myself completely in the story and while I was totally engrossed in the story when reading The Iron Duke and Here There Be Monsters, here I kept feeling a distance.

I will certainly continue reading this series, because The Iron Seas world is the coolest and darkest Steampunk setting I've come across, but Heart of Steel is my least favorite addition to this series so far. (Although the zombies did make up for the botched romance I will say ;-)

Why should you read it:
It's a cool Steampunk adventure.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


No comments: