Thursday 8 March 2012

The Spirit Thief - Book Review

The Spirit Thief (The Legend of Eli Monpress #1)
by Rachel Aaron


What is it about:
Eli Monpress is talented. He's charming. And he's a thief.

But not just any thief. He's the greatest thief of the age - and he's also a wizard. And with the help of his partners - a swordsman with the most powerful magic sword in the world but no magical ability of his own, and a demonseed who can step through shadows and punch through walls - he's going to put his plan into effect.

The first step is to increase the size of the bounty on his head, so he'll need to steal some big things. But he'll start small for now. He'll just steal something that no one will miss - at least for a while.

Like a king.


What did I think of it:
This is a very enjoyable read.

Eli is almost bit too much at times (he's larger than life and good at everything), but the humor that is used in this book keeps Eli likeable and makes that I could accept his near perfectness.

The story is worthy of any good Fantasy book: lots of intrigue, impossible seeming quests, a mysterious bad guy and a motley cast of characters who have to save the day. The story had a couple of situations which reminded me of my Fantasy Roleplaying days and I must say I wondered at times if Eli and his companions maybe first saw life as characters in such a roleplay (not that this is a bad thing in any way, btw).

I must say I loved the magic system Aaron came up with: it's unique and fun and Aaron used it to its fullest advantage for the story.

All in all I very much enjoyed this book and I'm happy to say I have the next two books in my to-be-read pile as I'm looking forward to reading more about Eli and his friends.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun Fantasy with a likeable hero.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Mel said...

Glad you like it! I thought this series was such fun! :)

Melliane said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've heard great things about this series and I think I really need to try it too! i hope it will be the sale for the others.