Friday 3 August 2012

Fractured Light - Book Review

Fractured Light (Fractured Light #1)
by Rachel McClellan


What is it about:
Llona Reese is used to living on the run. After a Vyken killed her parents, she knew they would eventually come for her too. She can’t take any chances. But when she starts to make friends for the first time in her life, she gets careless and lets her guard down. Big mistake.

As an Aura, Llona can manipulate light and harness its energy. But if she wants to survive, Llona will have to defy the Auran Council and learn to use her power as a weapon against the Vyken whose sole desire is to take her light. Now she’s caught in something bigger than she can understand, with a power she can’t wield, and no one she can trust, except, just maybe, a mysterious stranger.


What did I think of it:
This was a nice Paranormal YA read.

Llona is a likeable heroine even if she sometimes made me cringe in horror when she did something without really thinking the consequences through. But even though her actions weren't very smart at times, I could understand why she acted like she did. There were also some really cool other characters. My favorite was Llona's friend May who has some intriguing secrets of her own.

There's a bit of a love triangle going on, but it's done in such a way that I actually liked it for a change. Both guys are interesting and the way they act felt believable.

The story itself is suspenseful and entertaining. Llona being an Aura, someone who can manipulate light, was a cool and new concept to me. And even though my bad guy detector was once more spot on, there was enough mystery to keep me guessing where the story would lead to.

The ending was satisfying and set itself up nicely for the sequel which I probably will give a try once it releases.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable Paranormal YA read

Check out the entire tour schedule here and don't forget to enter the international giveaway.

Buy this book here

4 comments:

M.A.D. said...

Great review as always, Sully! <3
Fractured Light looks and sounds pretty decent, especially with likeable characters (you know how crabby I get about that lol)and a romance that doesn't make me wanna *gag* ;D

Ps - Just kidding about the *gag* part, kinda sorta

Sullivan McPig said...

I know exactly what you mean with romances that make you gag. Luckily this one wasn't one of those.

Aurian said...

Nice review, and I do love that cover. I'd like to get this one for my stepdaughter.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I like the sounds of the manipulating light. :) Sounds like a very good read. And a new one to me. :)