Friday 31 August 2012

The Calling - Book Review

The Calling (Darkness Rising #2)
by Kelley Armstrong


What is it about:
Maya Delaney's paw-print birthmark is the mark of what she truly is -a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly everyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it's only a matter of time before she's able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.

Now Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they're kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home.


What did I think of it:
I liked this book better than the first book.

Where the first book had no real surprises for me after having read the Darkest Powers trilogy, this one finally went into new territory so to speak and was less predictable.

Maya does some growing up and some of her friends do as well, while others were getting more annoying. (I feel an enormous love triangle fight coming up in book three.)

The story was suspenseful and I liked how alliances seemed to keep shifting, making it difficult to know who was to trust and who wasn't.

I still think the Darkest Powers trilogy is better than this trilogy, but I'm very eager to read the last book in this trilogy which will release in April next year.

Why should you read it:
It's a suspenseful and well written paranormal YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


7 comments:

M.A.D. said...

Skin-walker?!? O>O
Boy, that really sounds creepy!

I don't know if you've ever heard of this (or maybe this book series mentions it) but in the US, out in Utah, there's a real life ranch where bizarre things are alleged to have occurred. You can Google it to find out more, if you're interested. :D

Sullivan McPig said...

I will investigate!

Aurian said...

Nice review, thanks for the recommendation :)

Melliane said...

I really need to try the other Kelley ARmstrong books, this one sounds interesting. thanks for the review! And well I just love the cover!

M.A.D. said...

Meant to also say that the ranch is called The Skin-Walker Ranch (can't believe I left the most important part out lol)

ps - McPig looks sad today. I think the little guy needs ice cream ;)

Sullivan McPig said...

I had really yummy ice cream today I can tell you.

M.A.D. said...

@McPig ... glad to hear your *people* are taking such good care of you! You only deserve the best <3 lol