Friday 17 January 2014

The Replacement - Book Review


The Replacement
by Brenna Yovanoff


What is it about:
Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.


What did I think of it:
This is a cool read.

I will confess I had hoped it would be a creepy read when I picked it up, but apart from a few scenes it's not that creepy.

It is a very intriguing read though. I liked that the lead character is a changeling instead of a human. Mackie's problems feel real and I could easily relate, even though he's not human. He's been trying to keep a low profile all his life and suddenly he's asked to step into the limelight. His reluctance to help Tate was something I could understand.

The mythology that is used was familiar to me, but the way Yovanoff used it, and integrated it in the story, made it feel fresh. I was captured by the story within the first few chapters and couldn't stop reading.

So even though it wasn't the creepy read I had hoped, I really enjoyed it. I will most certainly reread this and get my trotters on other books by Yovanoff.

Why should you read it:
It's a really cool Paranormal YA read with Fae.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Melliane said...

I thought it was a creepy story too lol. I was so curious about this one when it was released but well after that I saw many mixed review so I never bought it.

Aurian said...

Glad you enjoyed it Sullivan :)