Thursday 8 May 2014

Dragon Actually - Book Review by Voodoo Bride


Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin #1)
by G.A. Aiken


What is it about:
It's not always easy being a female warrior with a nickname like Annwyl the Bloody. Men tend to either cower in fear - a lot - or else salute. It's true that Annwyl has a knack for decapitating legions of her ruthless brother's soldiers without pausing for breath. But just once it would be nice to be able to really talk to a man, the way, she can talk to Fearghus the Destroyer.

Too bad that Fearghus is a dragon, of the large, scaly and deadly type. With him, Annwyl feels safe - a far cry from the feelings aroused by the hard-bodied, arrogant knight Fearghus has arranged to help train her for battle. With her days spent fighting a man who fill her with fierce, heady desire, and her nights spent in the company of a magical creature who could smite a village just by exhaling, Annwyl is sure life couldn't get any stranger. She's wrong...


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I will confess this story reminded me at times of Dutch plays, which always have people keeping complicated secrets from each other, and there are lots of people hiding behind doors.

Yeah...

What I'm trying to say is that I'm no fan of stories where the main conflict in a relationship comes from people not talking with each other, and keeping secrets that don't need to be kept. And this is one of those stories.

Not that it's all bad. It's a nice enough story, if you put aside the cringe worthy moments where Fearghus is stupid enough to keep his mouth shut instead of just being honest. I will confess Annwyl wasn't a heroine I could really relate to, but overall I was entertained by this story, setting, and the many, many relatives of Fearghus who get introduced.

So all in all I was about to label this story: nice, but I won't read any other books in this series.

That's when I reached the end of Dragon Actually and found the novella Chains & Flames at the end of the book.

Chains & Flames is the story of how Fearghus' parents Rhiannon and Bercelak get together. And I loved it!

It had two lead characters I both loved, and a hot, steamy romance. I devoured this novella and found myself wishing it had been longer.

It also made me rethink my earlier verdict, and now I just might give the next book in this series a try some day.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice Paranormal Romance


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: