Wednesday 16 July 2014

Mortal Danger - Early Book Review


Mortal Danger (Immortal Game #1)
by Ann Aguirre


What is it about:
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Edie Kramer has a score to settle with the beautiful people at Blackbriar Academy. Their cruelty drove her to the brink of despair, and four months ago, she couldn't imagine being strong enough to face her senior year. But thanks to a Faustian compact with the enigmatic Kian, she has the power to make the bullies pay. She's not supposed to think about Kian once the deal is done, but devastating pain burns behind his unearthly beauty, and he's impossible to forget.

In one short summer, her entire life changes, and she sweeps through Blackbriar, prepped to take the beautiful people down from the inside. A whisper here, a look there, and suddenly... bad things are happening. It's a heady rush, seeing her tormentors get what they deserve, but things that seem too good to be true usually are, and soon, the pranks and payback turns from delicious to deadly. Edie is alone in a world teeming with secrets and fiends lurking in the shadows. In this murky morass of devil's bargains, she isn't sure who—or what--she can trust. Not even her own mind...


What did I think of it:
Mostly this is a cool read.

I liked Edie. Having been bullied myself in the past, I could relate to her, and even understand why she would want revenge. I was captured by the story from the start. It was clear Edie is making a deal that could backfire, so I was eager to find out what would happen.

I also really liked Kian. He's mysterious and enigmatic. I liked how he slowly seems to open up to Edie and starts telling her things. But is what he tells true, or is he playing a game with her?

Overall the story is really suspenseful and intriguing. There's lots going on, and you keep guessing why things are happening and what the end results will be.

The one thing that really bothered me though, is the message this books has about bullies. In my opinion there is no excuse for bullying, but this book tries to tell you that bullies are actually people with problems. It's those problems that make them lash out and act like bullies, but deep in their hearts they're actually nice. *puke*

But it isn't the first time I've come across that bully defense, so because the rest of the book is cool I will let it slide.

I will most certainly keep an eye out for the next book in this series.

Why should you read it:
It's a suspenseful Paranormal YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Melliane said...

I was really curious about this one so it's nice to see you had a good time. After reading all her other books, I should try this one!