Friday 15 August 2014

Panic - Book Review


Panic
by Lauren Oliver


What is it about:
Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a dead-end town of 12,000 people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.

Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.

Dodge has never been afraid of Panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game, he’s sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he’s not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.

For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.


What did I think of it:
I really liked all other books I've read by Oliver, so when I ran into Panic, I couldn't resist picking it up.

And this is a very enjoyable read.

It isn't as deep as the Delirium trilogy. It was predictable, but fun, and reminded me more of Oliver's Before I fall. I did wonder about the game the students are playing. Seeing how dangerous it is, I couldn't help thinking people would have put a stop to the game long before now. I also had my doubts about the message this books gives with its ending. I can't tell too much, because it would be spoiling things, but I wasn't really satisfied with how things got wrapped up.

Those things aside I had a great time reading Panic. It's entertaining, has reasonably likable characters and it's a fast read. I finished it in an afternoon.

I will most certainly reread this book when I'm in the mood for something uncomplicated, and I will keep an eye out for more books by Oliver.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and entertaining YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Blodeuedd said...

Not sure now, will it make me wanna ground them all? Guess so