Wednesday 4 March 2015

Night Broken - Book Review


Night Broken (Mercy Thompson #8)
by Patricia Briggs


What is it about:
An unexpected phone call heralds a new challenge for Mercy. Her mate Adam’s ex-wife is in trouble, on the run from her new boyfriend. Adam isn’t the kind of man to turn away a person in need—and Mercy knows it. But with Christy holed up in Adam’s house, Mercy can’t shake the feeling that something about the situation isn’t right.

Soon, her suspicions are confirmed when she learns that Christy has the farthest thing from good intentions. She wants Adam back and she’s willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen, including turning Adam’s pack against Mercy.

Mercy isn’t about to step down without a fight, but there’s a more dangerous threat circling. Christy’s ex is more than a bad man—in fact, he may not be human at all. As the bodies start piling up, Mercy must put her personal troubles aside to face a creature with the power to tear her whole world apart.


What did I think of it:
I will confess: it took me forever to pick up this book because of the mention of the ex of Adam showing up. If there's one thing that gets me upset about a book, it's relationship drama with an established couple. I didn't even dare get the UK paperback once it released last year.

But I do love this series, so when the US paperback released I finally got myself together enough to give it a try. (Because if you're going to be annoyed by a book, it better have a cool cover!)

And the drama around Christy indeed made my blood pressure spike!

I wanted to slap Christy, I wanted to kick sense into Adam, and I wanted to scream at lots of people all around.

But luckily there was more to this story than just Christy and the stupid way everyone acts about her.

There's a nasty critter out there, and Mercy has got to stop him, all while trying to a stay alive, deal with faeries, and refrain from punching Christy nose in (or was that just me?).

A new, interesting character gets introduced, a recurring character got more screen time and got more interesting, and Mercy kicks some serious ass. All in all enough to make sure I enjoyed this book despite the drama of the ex.

This book won't become my favorite of the series, but it is a cool addition to it, and I will most certainly get my trotters on upcoming books in this series.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool Urban Fantasy read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery


3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I still wanna hit Christy in the face

Melliane said...

sorry it wasn't your fave but I really loved it myself. I loved to hate Christy lol

Aurian said...

Yes, glad you read and enjoyed it! I still wonder how Christy could get Adam's phone every time Mercy called though ...