Monday 18 May 2015

Godsquad - Book Review


Godsquad
by Heide Goody and Iain Grant


What is it about:
The Team:
Joan of Arc, the armour-plated teen saint of Orleans.
Francis of Assisi, friend to all the animals whether they like it or not.
St Christopher, the patron saint of travel who by papal decree has never existed – no matter how much he argues otherwise.

The Mission: An impossible prayer has been received by Heaven and it’s a prayer that only Mary, Mother of God, can answer. Unfortunately, Mary hasn’t been seen in decades and is off wandering the Earth somewhere. This elite team of Heavenly saints are sent down to Earth to find Mary before Armageddon is unleashed on an unsuspecting world.

Godsquad:
A breathless comedy road trip from Heaven to France and all points in-between featuring murderous butchers, a coachload of Welsh women, flying portaloos, nuclear missiles, giant rubber dragons, an army of dogs, a very rude balloon and way too much French wine.


What did I think of it:
This book is set in the same world as Clovenhoof, which I very much enjoyed. so when I was given the opportunity to get my hands on a review copy, I jumped at the chance.

And I think I like this book even more than Clovenhoof!

I really liked Joan of Arc. She's a feisty heroine on a mission, but is hampered by her two blundering sidekicks. She's been 19 for centuries, and is dying to do something other than being a saint in Heaven.

Christopher is a really fun character as well. he soon discovers being a saint who never existed has its whole set of problems and perks. Francis was the character I connected with the least, although he does have some funny scenes.

From the start there's lots of action and silliness. I kept snorting at all the strange situations the heroes manage to get into. The humor is leaning a bit towards the banal at times, but not enough to annoy me. Mostly I very much enjoyed this book.

If you take religion seriously, you should stay clear of this book, but if you can handle a bit of humor with your religion, and are looking for a fun and action-packed read, you should give this book a try.

Why should you read it:
It's a funny and action-packed read.


Buy it on Amazon

1 comment:

Aurian said...

It does sound fun, just not my kind of fun. Glad you enjoyed it though!