Wednesday 12 August 2015

Halfway to the Grave - Book Review


Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1)
by Jeaniene Frost


What is it about:
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father - the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner - are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.


What did I think of it:
I will confess I almost put this book down after the first 2 chapters, but people assured me it would get better, so I stuck to it until the end.

And I can't say I was impressed, or that it got better for me.

If I'm honest: I think Cat and Bones are foulmouthed jerks! I couldn't stand them! And don't get me started on Cat killing all vampires she encounters because one of them hurt her mother. I wonder what she'd have done if her father had been human. Kill all men?

The story was decent enough, and fast paced, making this a quick read. But with no connection to either Cat or Bones I never felt involved. I had hoped the characters would grow on me, or grow up, but at the end of the book I still didn't like them.

So I'm afraid this series isn't for me. I won't be picking up the next book, that's for sure.

Why should you read it:
I'm in the minority: most readers of this series love Bones.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Yay, you are like me

Sullivan McPig said...

@blodeuedd: Yay! I'm not alone ;-)

Melliane said...

I liked the series but book 5 and 6 aren't really good...