Wednesday 5 August 2015

Savage Drift - Book Review


Savage Drift (Monument 14 #3)
by Emmy Laybourne


What is it about:
The stunningly fierce conclusion to Emmy Laybourne's Monument 14 trilogy.

The survivors of the Monument 14 have finally made it to the safety of a Canadian refugee camp. Dean and Alex are cautiously starting to hope that a happy ending might be possible.

But for Josie, separated from the group and trapped in a brutal prison camp for exposed Type Os, things have gone from bad to worse. Traumatized by her experiences, she has given up all hope of rescue or safety.

Meanwhile, scared by the government's unusual interest in her pregnancy, Astrid (with her two protectors, Dean and Jake in tow) joins Niko on his desperate quest to be reunited with his lost love Josie.


What did I think of it:
I really liked the first two books in this trilogy, but somehow it took me a while to pick up the last book.

The viewpoint switches between Dean and Josie.

I must say that Josie's story was the most intense, and I was invested in it from the start. The camp where Josie is imprisoned is brutal, and I was scared for what might happen to Josie and her friends.

Dean's story got on my nerves at times. The whole Dean/Astrid/Jake drama, and Astrid's pregnancy didn't really interest me. The one character in that storyline that I could understand was Niko.

So I confess I at times skimmed Dean's dramatics to get back to Josie's perils.

Still I very much enjoyed this book, and I think Laybourne did a great job in bringing this trilogy to a relatively believable close. (Yup, there was one very convenient cop out imo)

All in all this is a cool trilogy that I will certainly put on my keeper shelves.

Why should you read it:
It's a mostly realistic YA Disaster read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: