Wednesday 20 January 2016

Bone Shop - Book Review


Bone Shop (Marla Mason .1)
by T.A. Pratt


What is it about:
A prequel novel about sorcerer Marla Mason, heroine of a series of novels by T.A. Pratt published by Bantam Spectra from 2007-2009, including Blood Engines, Poison Sleep, Dead Reign, and Spell Games. Bone Shop explores Marla's early days in the city of Felport and her rise to power.

What did I think of it:
I loved Blood Engines, the first book in the Marla Mason series, and I have the next two books in my TBR pile. But when I received this prequel novel I had to read it first, if only so I could stare lovingly at the gorgeous cover from time to time.

And this is a great read.

Some of the things that happened in Bone Shop I knew about, because Marla mentioned them in Blood Engines. Other things were new to me, and gave me a better inside in the woman Marla is.

I loved seeing Marla grow into power. She has a difficult past, but she's resourceful and stubborn. I also liked reading how she and Rondeau met and how they came to work together. If I didn't already love Marla, I would have fallen in love with her in this book.

All in all this is a really cool prequel which could be read on its own, but as it's an 'origins' story it isn't one fluid story, but tends to hop and skip time wise.

I will most certainly pick up book two in the Marla Mason series soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool UF read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I really need to get back to this series. It's been ages since I read the first few books, before he self published the rest of the books. I did enjoy Marla.