Wednesday 27 January 2016

Memory Zero - Book Review


Memory Zero (Spook Squad #1)
by Keri Arthur


What is it about:
For Sam Ryan, life began at age fourteen. She has no memory of her parents or her childhood. In a decade of service with the State Police, Sam has exhausted the resources of the force searching for clues to her identity. But all mention of her family seems to have been deliberately wiped off the record. Everything changes the night Sam’s missing partner resurfaces as a vampire... and forces her to kill him in self-defense. Now Sam is charged with murder. Suspended from the force, and with no one left to trust, Sam accepts some unexpected help from Gabriel Stern, a shapeshifter who conceals startling secrets.

While investigating the circumstances surrounding her partner’s strange behavior, Sam discovers that Garbriel’s been involved with a dangerous organization that’s planning a war on the human race. More immediate, someone is guarding the truth about Sam’s past—someone who’d rather see her dead than risk her knowing too much. To stay alive, Sam must unravel the threads of her past—and find out not only who she is but what she is.


What did I think of it:
This is a very entertaining read.

The world building and the characters were intriguing, and I liked Sam from the start. It's clear she's SPECIAL, with skills and hidden powers that keep growing, but I decided to take her 'specialness' for granted and enjoy the ride.

There was one thing about Sam that I thought everyone was completely dense about. At one point a piece of information about Sam becomes available that made me question Sam's past in a big way, but neither Sam or any of the other characters seemed to pick up on what this piece of information might mean. I must say I'm curious if this will be explained in later books, or if I'm seeing more in this than Arthur meant.

Anyway: the story is cool and full of action and intrigue. Because Sam is full of hidden powers and specialness, I never worried about the outcome, but even so I really enjoyed the story.

The ending ties up the main story line, but leaves a lot of question about Sam and her past. I most probably will pick up the next book somewhere in the future.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and action-packed Urban Fantasy read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I've not read anything by this author but I want to. This sounds like a nice first book for the series. :)