Wednesday 6 January 2016

The Hunted - Book Review


The Hunted (The Enemy #6)
by Charlie Higson


What is it about:
The sickness struck everyone over fourteen. First it twisted their minds. Next it ravaged their bodies. Now they roam the streets - Crazed and hungry.

The others had promised that the countryside would be safer than the city. They were wrong. Now Ella's all-alone except for her silent rescuer, Scarface - and she's not even sure if he's a kid or a grown-up.

Back in London, Ed's determined to find her. But getting out of town's never been more dangerous- because coming in the other direction is every SICKO in the country. It's like they're being called towards the capital and nothing is going to stop them...

In the penultimate book in The Enemy series, the survivors' stories cross with chilling consequences.


What did I think of it:
The last book ended on a cliffhanger, so I was very glad to discover this book continued where book 5 ended.

Ella wasn't one of my favorite characters, but in this book she grew on me. She's very young and this shows in how she acts. Luckily the stoic Scarface is a perfect counterweight to Ella, who can be naive. Ella's story line is cool and full of action and surprises.

Next to Ella's story line is Ed's. I've liked Ed from the start and I'm surprised he made it this far. Most of my favorite characters have the habit of dying on me in series like this. Ed sets out with others to find Ella. And the bodies start piling up! One of the new characters of the last book joins Ed, and I'm still in two minds about this character, and the other new characters. In my opinion they're too weird. Not in appearance, but in behavior, making them caricatures instead of characters. Maybe it's just me, but they take away from the suspension of disbelief you need for a tale like this.

Overall this is a very entertaining read. Things are racing towards the climax and I already picked up the last book in this series to find out how this all will end.

Why should you read it:
It's a very cool Post Apocalyptic reads for younger teens.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: