Monday 28 March 2016

Tomes of the Dead: Anno Mortis - Book Review


Tomes of the Dead: Anno Mortis
by Rebecca Levene


What is it about:
Tomes of The Dead is a collection of some of the very best eyeball popping, gut munching, zombie fiction around, groaning with horror and excitement. Each book will explore the zombie genre in new and thrilling ways.

Join us in these worlds of the dead and remember to leave your sanity by the door 40 AD, Rome.

Slaves are disappearing, the bodies of the dead are being stolen and mysterious shipments arrive from Egypt in the dead of night. Behind it all are the powerful Cult of Isis, searching for a way to breach the barrier between life and death. The only people who can stop them are a gladiator, a slave and an over-sexed teenager - and a stranger who just may be a god.


What did I think of it:
I'm always on the lookout for cool zombie stories, so when I saw this book that combines zombies with ancient Rome I had to give it a try.

And when in the first chapter the lead characters are introduced, who are (with one exception) based on historical figures, I knew I made the right decision in picking this book up.

It is so much fun!

The zombie mayhem takes a while to start, but the story was so intriguing and cool that I didn't mind having to wait for the zombies to get really going. I will also confess that even though there are a couple of viewpoint characters, which I usually am not a fan of, that here it worked for me. I liked reading about all of them, and never felt like skimming to get to the good parts. All of it was good in my opinion.

Of course this is a zombie story, so it's more about the adventure, mayhem and action than the character development, so keep that in mind when you give this a try. Still I can tell you I really liked the characters, they sure made that I was invested in the story and wanted them to defeat the bad guys.

All in all this was a really cool and fun read. You can bet I'll be reading more by Levene. I'll also check out the other books in the Tomes of the Dead series.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool read filled with Roman zombies!


Buy from amazon

No comments: