Friday 12 August 2016

The Emperor's Arrow - Book Review


The Emperor's Arrow
by Lauren D.M. Smith


What is it about:
The bride candidates have been summoned. Their numbers are many, yet only one is an Amazzi warrior. Only one would give her life to protect him.

Evony of Aureline, warrior of her people, has no intention of becoming a hideous old man's bride. Though her people have sworn their loyalty to the legendary emperor Galen, Evony knows little of courts and intrigue. It's simply not her world.

Yet it's on the palace training grounds where Evony's archery skills gain her the respect of soldiers and legates alike. The emperor himself takes notice of the beautiful, ruthless warrior. In turn, the young, steely eyed Galen is nothing at all what Evony expected.

This man could very well conquer her heart. But does he feel the same?

As the rivalry among the remaining bride candidates intensifies and the plot for the throne unfolds, Evony must make a grave choice: fulfill her destiny and protect her people or follow her heart and pursue true love.

Either way, the honor of the Amazzi people and the future of the empire now rests with Evony of Aureline. For she is the Emperor's Arrow.


What did I think of it:
I will confess: I fell in love with the cover of this book.

The story sounded cool as well though, so I got my grabby trotters on it even though it wasn't available in print.

And this is a very entertaining read.

I must say the set up reminded me of both Miss Congeniality and The Selection, but that certainly wasn't a bad thing.

The bride selection process wasn't used to its full potential I think, I would have loved to read more about that part of the story, but the events that the story did focus on made up for it.

I liked Evony and loved her interactions with Galen and the other people at the palace. The romance developed at a pleasant pace, although the romance conflict was handled a bit too easily I think. I wanted a bit more fire to that. Still, the romance was very satisfying.

As for the overall story I will confess I was suspecting all the wrong people of all the wrong things. This had probably more to do with how I think than with the writing though. My suspicions aside I had lots of fun with this book, and would most certainly read more by this author if the story appeals to me.

Why should you read it:

It's a fun Fantasy read.


Find buy links here

2 comments:

Jeffe Kennedy said...

Agree on all points! :-)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Fun fantasy works for me! And I love that cover as well!