Friday 11 November 2016

Belle Chasse - Book Review


Belle Chasse (Sentinels of New Orleans #5)
by Suzanne Johnsone


What is it about:
With the wizard-elven treaty on the verge of collapse, the preternatural world stands on the brink of war. Unless former wizard sentinel DJ Jaco manages to keep the elven leader, Quince Randolph, focused on peace and not personal matters.

With no one on the throne, Faerie is in chaos, with rival princes battling for power. The still-undead pirate, Jean Lafitte, is building his own army of misfits, and DJ—stripped of her job and hiding in the Beyond to avoid the death sentence handed down by the wizard Council of Elders—can’t get anywhere near her beloved New Orleans or her significant something-or-other, Alex.

It's time to choose sides. Friends will become enemies, enemies will become allies, and not everyone will survive. DJ and her friends will learn a hard lesson: sometimes, even the ultimate sacrifice isn’t enough.


What did I think of it:
This series just keeps on being awesome!

DJ is in trouble and the hits just keep coming,

I couldn't put this book down. I had to keep reading to find out if DJ and her friends manage to find a way out of the mess they're in.

It was interesting to learn more about Fairy and the fae, they're a weird and creepy bunch. I liked one of the princes, but still wasn't sure if I should root for him. I also loved seeing a bit more of the Otherworld/Old Orleans where the historical undead live, and to learn more of the magic there. The world building and the characters in this series are amazing, I can tell you!

Rene again was our favorite character, and Voodoo Bride thinks DJ should ditch pirates, shifters and all, and run off into the sunset with this cool merman. But if this is not in DJ's future she'll settle for Alex. That pirate might have gained some bonus points in the last two books, he's still too smarmy in Voodoo Bride's opinion.

I will confess I didn't agree with DJ on her opinion on Rand at times. There are some things that can't be forgiven and that should result in the termination of all contact, no matter the circumstances. But then again: I'm a very unforgiving piggy.

The overall story is once again awesome. There's lots of action and intrigue and the book ends with some shocking developments that make me eager for the next book. I'll be keeping my out for it for sure!

Why should you read it:
It's a really cool and awesome Urban Fantasy read.


Buy from bookdepository

2 comments:

Roger Simmons said...

Thanks for your review. I agree with you, It's a really cool and awesome Urban Fantasy read. I've been a big fan of all The Senteniels of New Orleans books. Looking forward to more. I highly recommend Belle Chasse.

ModernMelly said...

Excellent, fast paced and fun. I read it in one sitting and eagerly await the next in this series. Highly recommend