Wednesday 15 February 2017

Caraval - A Reluctant DNF


Caraval (Caraval #1)
by Stephanie Garber


What is it about:
Welcome, welcome to Caraval―Stephanie Garber’s sweeping tale of two sisters who escape their ruthless father when they enter the dangerous intrigue of a legendary game.

Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.


Why I reluctantly DNFed:
I first saw this book in Dutch in a local bookstore, as the Dutch translation was released before the original. The cover drew my attention and the back cover story was so cool, I immediately pre-ordered the English version.

As I was waiting for its release the early reviews came in and everyone was raving about it.

Then finally my copy arrived and I dove in.

And... I didn't like one of the main characters. Nope, not Tella (who I also don't like), but the guy who helps Scarlett on her quest to track Tella down.

I tried to ignore my dislike, because the real mystery hadn't even started yet and I was really curious about what would happen once Scarlett starts the game. I made it just a little over 100 pages in before I had to admit I wasn't going to like him, and that Scarlett was starting to grate on my nerves as well. It was here that I decided to put the book aside.

I'm pretty sure from other people's reviews that the story is very good, but with no connection to either Scarlett or her helper, I just can't be bothered. I might skim to see if some of my suspicions are right though.

Why should you read it:
The world building is cool and maybe you might like the characters where I could not.


Buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Sometimes it happens that we don't like the characters. Glad you still share about it. :)