Wednesday 3 May 2017

Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising - Book Review


Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising (Mass Effect: Andromeda #1)
by Jason M. Hough and K.C. Alexander


What is it about:
They slept for hundreds of years, dreaming of a new home in the Andromeda Galaxy. When finally they awake, their dreams of peace are shattered.

These colonists—turian, salarian, asari, human, and more—face an uncharted galaxy and threats beyond understanding.The Nexus is the core from which the colonists will explore their new home. Yet even before the arks arrive, the massive space station sustains critical damage.

The entire mission is placed in jeopardy, and security director Sloane Kelly must reassert order while racing to identify the nature of the threat that faces them.If she fails, the Andromeda Initiative could crumble.


What did I think of it:
I tried one of the Mass Effect novels in the past and didn't like it very much. But after the success of the Dragon Age novels, and loving Mass Effect Andromeda more than expected I decided to give Nexus Uprising a chance. The uprising is something that is mentioned a lot in the game, so I wanted to know more about it.

And this is a cool story.

I loved learning more about the Nexus and the problems it had. I loved it even more that I got to know more about some of the characters you meet in the game. Tann, Addison, Kesh, and Sloane Kelly all play a part in this story. I really liked seeing in their heads, and to discover what events sparked the mutiny on the Nexus.

I will confess I already formed my own opinions on most of the characters and already picked a side, but it was fun to discover the truth and to see how it matched up with my own ideas about the uprising and the characters. It certainly made that I was even more sure about one of my choices in the game.

I think this book can be read without having played any of the Mass Effect games, there might be a few things you don't understand, but the overall story is easy to follow. I do think that people who played the game will get the most enjoyment out of it though, and I can recommend this book to any fan of Mass Effect.

I already pre-ordered the next book in the series, I can tell you.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool SF read.


Buy from bookdepository



No comments: