Friday 16 February 2018

Siege and Storm - Book Review


Siege and Storm (The Grishaverse #2)
by Leigh Bardugo


What is it about:
Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.


What did I think of it:
I very much enjoyed the first book in this series, so when I won a book of my choice at a giveaway by I Smell Sheep I didn't have to think very long about what book to pick.

And this book is just as cool as the first.

I love Alina and I was invested in what's happening to her from the start. I didn't like Mal in the first book, and this book only made me dislike him more. He seems very selfish, and doesn't consider Alina's feelings. He's only focused on the future he wants, instead of trying to build a future that also includes Alina's dreams and desires. Still I very much fear he will be the one to end up with Alina in the last book of this trilogy.

Mal aside, this story is wonderful. There are a couple of really interesting new characters, some with dubious loyalties. I loved learning more about the world and about the plans of both Alina, the Darkling ,and others. I kept reading to find out where things would lead. Did Alina put her trust in the right people? Is the Darkling really as evil as he seems? Will Ravka survive its civil war?

All in all a very entertaining and enjoyable read. I'll get my trotters on the last book soon.

Why should you read it:

It's a wonderful YA Fantasy read.


Buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

Melliane said...

Oh I want to try this series!